Monday, May 27, 2013

Options...

I knew that surgery might be the final option and have started looking into it. The breakthrough came when a friend had a gastric sleeve surgery and I followed her journey. I had to get my mind around the cost and the complete lifestyle change.

I found a bariatric clinic in my city and signed on for the initial seminar. This is how they described the surgery on their website.

Sleeve Gastrectomy

In this operation, the size of the stomach is drastically reduced down to a tube about the size and shape of a banana. About two thirds of the stomach is permanently removed. This operation preserves the pylorus, which is the valve leaving the stomach. It does not involve bypassing any intestines.
Sleeve Gastrectomy

How it Works

There are three effects: restriction, dumping, and reduced appetite. Every individual person undergoing sleeve gastrectomy experiences different degrees of each effect. All of these effects work together to help a person drastically reduce the calories he or she consumes.

Restriction

The much smaller stomach means you will be able to eat most, if not all types of food, but fill up much faster. About a cup to a cup and a half of food is what most people can comfortably eat.

Dumping

While not as much as with gastric bypass, with a sleeve gastrectomy, you may experience unpleasant reactions to certain foods, especially high calorie liquids and sweets. Dumping can include nausea, diarrhea, cramping and low blood sugar. It is what helps you stay away from junk foods.

Reduced Appetite

As with Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy reduces a “hunger hormone” called ghrelin.
source: http://www.tylerbariatrics.com/sleeve-gastrectomy.htm 

 This sounded like the solution. I know it is not the magic pill and instant solution, but a tool I can use.

Now, I just have to get past the fact that at the ripe age of 45 I have never had surgery and was a little scared of the fact!

Confirmation came when after prayer God miraculously provided all the money in three weeks and I could have the surgery without ANY debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment